Portal Home > Knowledgebase > Managing Your Minecraft Server > Getting Started > Custom Forge MOD Packs
Custom Forge MOD Packs
First, Forge is only supported on Premium servers.
There is a higher density of customers on our Budget servers, so Forge will be terminated and all associated files deleted if found running on any Budget server. A single heavy Forge-based MOD pack can ruin the experience for everyone else on the Budget host.
If you want Forge and expect it to run smoothly, buy a Premium server with 1GB or more memory.
If you wish to use your own Forge-based MOD pack, it's very easy to do so:
- Select the appropriate version of Forge from the MOD pack list drop-down in Multicraft.
If you don't see the version of Forge that you require, just open a ticket and we will add it quickly for you.
- Click save, then restart your server.
- Once the server has restarted, it is ready for you to upload your files.
- Upload your SERVER forge mod files to /mods/ on your server using FTP.
*** CLIENT-ONLY MODS WILL CRASH YOUR SERVER ***
Client-only mods include Mini-maps, Custom Main Menus, Mouse Tweaks, IRC Clients, OptiFine, and anything else that expects a client GUI to be present.
Just because it worked on your home machine doesn't mean it will work on a SERVER that has no Graphics card. Apples and Oranges here.
- Upload the rest of your server files to where they belong. Config files go in /config/, asm files in /asm/, etc.
** DO NOT worry about files in the /libraries/ folder. All the libraries Forge requires will already be present here.
- DO NOT DELETE MCMOD_CONTROLFILE FROM YOUR SERVER!
MCMOD_CONTROLFILE is used by our custom MOD installer/upgrader script. Leave it there please.
- Once you've finished uploading your files, restart the server and then watch the console for errors.
Be patient, Forge takes a while to load. More mods means more loading time.
Please keep in mind that more Forge mods require more memory. If you have over 100 mods, you will NEED 1 to 2 GB of memory or your server WILL lag and crash.
That's it! It really is that simple, but if you have any problems, just open a ticket. However, we cannot answer questions about mods interacting/playing nice with other mods. Forge mods are notoriously difficult to get working together properly, so you are on your own regarding individual mods.
- Q: Why are my Craft Bukkit plugins not working?
A: Forge DOES NOT work with plugins. Forge only uses mod files. There used to be a project that integrated Forge and Craft Bukkit (MCPC+/Cauldron/Thermos) so you could use mods and plugins, but it has been abandoned as of v1.7.10.
- Q: Can I just use SpongeForge with my plugins?
A: NO! If you read the SpongeForge documentation, you'll see that SpongeForge does not work with Craft Bukkit plugins. Plugins must recompiled so they are compatible with SpongeForge.
- Q: Why does my Forge server never start up or crash on start1?
A: Check the console and your log files in /logs/. Typically a mod is missing a prerequisite of another mod, or you're trying to use a CLIENT-ONLY mod on a server. If you still can't figure it out, just open a ticket.
Add to Favourites Print this Article